Procurement Card

Procurement Card

Frequently Asked Questions

What is a PCard?

PCard, Purchasing Card, or Procurement Card, is the university’s equivalent to a corporate card. It essentially operates as a Visa debit card. The PCard is usually ‘tied‐in’ to a department or project from which the funds are deducted as charges occur. PCards may be used to purchase commodities, pay for services, and facilitate travel expenses.

What is the benefit of using the PCard?

The PCard provides a more efficient, cost‐effective alternative for departments to make purchases. It is meant to avoid the burden of creating purchase orders (POs) for small dollar items as well as to facilitate online purchases previously approved by the departments. The university’s cost of purchasing goods is significantly reduced through the use of a PCard. It further allows departmental resources to be better allocated, and it expands the department’s vendor base. The PCard is accepted anywhere Visa is accepted.

How do I become a PCard holder?

Deans, directors, and chairs (DDCs) or vice presidents may request a card for employees in their college or division. Requests should be made by completing a Cardholder Profile, a Cardholder Agreement, and an Ethics and Purchasing Certification form.  All forms are located on the Procurement Card Forms page.  Additionally, new cardholders must complete the online training course — PCard Training for Cardholders (FPO125).

Is PCard training available?

Yes, training is available. The PCard team currently has instructor‐led workshops and online training courses available. The instructor‐led workshop is helpful to all roles (cardholders, approvers, and reconcilers). If additional training is needed between scheduled courses, the PCard team will work with your department to deliver a private training class.

When should I use the PCard?

The PCard is the primary method for making non‐travel purchases of $250 or less, with some exceptions as noted below:

  • Vendor does not accept PCard.
  • Item being purchased is on the PCard prohibited items list.
  • Purchase is for hazardous materials.

You may review the Creating an ePro Requisition for $500 or Less Addy Tip to learn more about these exceptions and how to fill out a Standard Comment detailing the exceptions on a requisition.

What if the vendor does not accept PCards?

You are not required to use a PCard on non‐travel purchases of $250 or less if the vendor does not accept the PCard. This is one of three valid exceptions. You must provide the vendor’s contact name and phone number when noting the exception on the requisition in Standard Comment DEP‐D017.

Can we buy coffee and water for the benefit of those in the department?

No, the purchase of coffee and water is currently on the PCard program’s prohibited use list.

Can the PCard be used to purchase gasoline/fuel?

Yes, the PCard can be used to purchase gasoline/fuel for the following:

  • State vehicles and equipment
  • Rental vehicles when on UCF business travel

Purchases must meet F&A’s fuel requirements by including a copy of the receipt and the UCF state vehicle/equipment Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) and/or rental agreement number.

Can the PCard be used to purchase gasoline for a personal vehicle on a business trip?

No, the PCard cannot be used to fuel personal vehicles as personal vehicles will be reimbursed by mileage and not by actual fuel purchases.

Where can we find a list of prohibited items?

On the F&A website, please go to Departments > Disbursement Services > Procurement Card > Guidelines and read the “Examples of Prohibited Uses of Procurement Card” under the Other Publications section.

What do I do if sales tax is charged?

Contact the vendor and see if they will honor our Tax Exempt Status with the State of Florida and ask for a credit to your PCard.

Must I keep a receipt for every single transaction on the PCard?

Yes, an itemized/detailed receipt is required for each transaction and must be submitted with the cardholder’s monthly statement. Statements are due prior to the end of the month following the statement date. For example, a statement dated July 31 (for July charges) is due prior to Aug. 31.

Why do I have a single purchase limit (SPL)?

Single purchase limits (SPL’s) are set as an internal control in order to avoid misuse of the state’s funds. SPL’s are determined for a cardholder by the DDC or vice president when requesting a purchasing card.

Can we have the merchant split a transaction to bypass my PCard's single purchase limit (SPL)?

Splitting transactions to bypass your SPL is against UCF PCard regulations. Doing this could result in a suspension of your PCard of up to one month.

How do I change my limits?

If you would like to make a change to your monthly credit limit and/or single transaction limit, please call the PCard administrator in order to obtain a “Limit Override” form. This form must be signed by the cardholder’s supervisor, DDC, and vice president in order to request a change to the cardholder’s limits. In order to avoid increasing the PCard’s limit for a ‘one time’ transaction, Finance & Accounting (F&A) maintains a PCard that is available to assist you in these situations. If you need to complete a transaction above your SPL but do not need to increase your card’s limit permanently, please contact Linda Baker or Elsa Dantes. Please note you must have a PO for this transaction in order to use the F&A PCard.

I lost my PCard or fear it has been compromised. What do I do next?

It is the cardholder’s responsibility to report a lost or stolen card as soon as possible. If the card has been discovered missing during business hours, please contact the PCard office immediately. If assistance is needed after regular business hours, please contact Bank of America directly at 888‐449‐2273. If the bank offers one, please do not accept a replacement card. The replacement card must instead be sent to the PCard administrator in order to be activated in our system.

How do I dispute a PCard transaction that I do not recognize?

Immediately contact F&A and inform them that you have an unexpected transaction on your PCard. Additionally, please visit the Procurement Card Forms webpage and download the “Statement of Disputed Items.” After the form has been completed, please submit it to F&A so that a formal dispute can be filed with Bank of America. Most disputes are resolved within 30‐60 days. Please remind your approver to note in the comments field that the transaction is in dispute. This will alert the PCard team as to why the charge has not been approved, and it will avoid a suspension related to unapproved charges.

I accidentally charged a personal expense to my UCF PCard, what do I do next?

In the event that a cardholder has inadvertently charged a personal expense on their PCard, complete the Departmental Expense Reimbursement Transmittal Form (41-908B). The source of funds should describe the expense that is being reimbursed. For example, if a personal plane ticket was mistakenly purchased, the Source of Funds would be “Travel.”  Please click here for a sample of how to complete the form. Attach a check to the form and deposit them in a sealed envelope to the UCF Cashier’s Office drop box. If you need further assistance, please contact the PCard department.”

How do I determine if my purchase is considered tagable?

All single items with a cost of $5,000 or greater are considered tagable. Additionally, when purchasing separate parts that will be assembled into a single unit (e.g. mother board, sound card, etc., to build a computer) and this unit will have an aggregate cost of $5,000 or greater, the final product also is considered a tagable item.

If the travel PO associated with the transaction is closed, how do I proceed?

If the travel PO has been closed before a transaction has been approved, please include notes/comments explaining the situation in the description or comment fields and approve the charge using a travel account code.

Can I allow other users access to my PCard?

Under no circumstances should another person have access to your PCard. If the department’s DDC feels there is a need for someone else to make purchases on behalf of the department, an additional card may be requested. It is the responsibility of the cardholder to keep their PCard in a secure location to which no one else has access.

What are some common reasons for a card to be declined?

If your PCard has been declined, it could be due to the following reasons: the purchase exceeds your available balance or single purchase limit, the vendor’s merchant category code is prohibited by UCF, or your PCard could be suspended. Please contact F&A immediately if your card has been declined.

How do I assign an approver on the DAL to access a specific cardholder's charges?

The responsible financial officer (RFO) must complete the following steps: Departmental Authorization > Employee Information — enter approver’s employee ID > PCA Details tab — enter cardholder information > Save.

Where can I find a list of valid UCF account codes?

You can find a list of all UCF financial account codes on the F&A home page under UCF Financials ChartField Lists.

What if I don't receive my statement in the mail?

If you did not receive your monthly statement, please send an email to

When is the statement package due?

The statements are due prior to the end of the month following the statement date. For example, a statement dated July 31 (for July charges) is due prior to Aug. 31.

What if I become aware of fraud, waste, or abuse?

If you suspect fraud, waste, or abuse, please report this information to the PCard administrator or University Audit. You may also send a fax to (407) 823‐6630, or contact Tina Maier at (407) 823‐2889.