Budget Planning and Analysis
Budget, Planning, & Administration
Frequently Asked Questions
Composite Fringe Benefit Rates (CFBR)
What are the benefits of using a composite fringe benefit rate cost allocation method?
- Provides a consistent charging methodology university-wide for employee fringe.
- Such cost allocation methodologies are commonplace and preferred by the federal government for reimbursement of costs related to sponsored research projects.
- Simplifies and improves the preparation and administration of budgets, including those associated with the grant proposal budget process.
- Limits the variability of certain types of fringe costs such as leave payouts.
When will the composite fringe benefit rate be effective?
What benefits are included in the composite fringe benefit rate?
- Life Insurance
- Disability Insurance
- Workers compensation
- Termination Leave Payouts and related fringe
- Unemployment compensation
What leave payments will be included in the composite fringe benefit rate?
What are the 2022-23 composite fringe benefit rates?
Faculty – 31%
COM Clinical Faculty– 21%
A&P – 39%
Executive Service – 32%
USPS – 52%
Post-Docs – 23%
OPS Non-Students – 14%
OPS Students – 2%
How often will these composite fringe benefit rates be adjusted?
How will fringe benefits be recorded in my department or project?
All CFBR fringe charges will post to the general ledger account 711610 – Fringe benefit expense, except for Post Docs, OPS Non-Student and OPS Student fringe charges which will post to 712610 – Fringe benefit OPS expense. Refer to the General Ledger Mapping for further details.
How can I reconcile my fringe benefit charges to gross salary by employee group?
How often will the fringe benefit allocation occur?
How will the new rate structure affect existing awards at the time of the change?
Will I need to calculate fringe benefit expense when processing salary cost transfers?
What composite fringe benefit rate will be applied to payroll cost transfers?
What rate is used when an employee waives our medical benefits?
The CFBR rate is an average of all the benefits applicable to employees within rate groups based on attributes of the employees who fall into each group.